Who’s on the committee?
In this corner, City Hall
- Dallas Blackiston, chairman, Ward 1 alderman. His ward includes Downtown New Bern. Leaving office in December
- E.T. Mitchell, Ward 3 alderman. Her ward neighbors Downtown New Bern. Leaving office in December
- Jeffrey Odham, Ward 6 alderman. His ward comes nowhere near Downtown New Bern.
- Mark Stephens, city manager. His staff reports form the basis of committee discussions and decisions.
- Brenda Blanco, city clerk. Posts agendas, keeps minutes, distributes background material … and peculiarly, is a voting member of the committee.
Downtown folks, sort of
- John Bircher, Swiss Bear Downtown Development Corporation president (day job, lawyer)
- Kevin Roberts, New Bern Area Chamber of Commerce president (day job, New Bern Area Chamber of Commerce president)
- Caroline Smith, Tourism Development Authority
Actually live and/or work downtown
- Maria Cho, Historic Downtown Residents Association primary (and Kate Rosenstrauch, Historic Downtown Residents Association alternate)
- Buddy Bengel, Swiss Bear DDC appointee, (day job, businessman; son of Alderman-elect Sabrina Bengel)
- Danny Batten, Downtown Merchants Council (day job, Surf, Wind & Fire)
Has heard of downtown, sort of
- Leanna Tyson, Young Professionals Group, Tyson and Hooks Realty