The North Carolina State Board of Education approved the request submitted by the Craven County Board of Education for Roger Bell Elementary and Oaks Road Elementary, two schools identified as persistently low performing over the previous several years, to transition to the Restart Model beginning with the 2018-2019 school year.This model authorizes the Craven County Board of Education to operate both schools with significant flexibility. This designation does not however make them charter schools. Roger Bell Elementary and Oaks Road Elementary will continue to be public elementary schools under the responsibility of the Craven County Schools Board of Education.We are excited about this additional flexibility and encourage school staff, parents, students, and the community, to be a part of the redesign process to help meet the individualized needs of the students for which each school serves.The ultimate goal is to improve student achievement at Roger Bell Elementary and Oaks Road Elementary while providing the best learning resources and tools, the Restart Model will assist with the following:
- Improve student learning;
- Increase learning opportunities for all students, with special emphasis on expanded learning experiences for students who are identified as at risk of academic failure or academically gifted;
- Encourage the use of different and innovative teaching methods;
- Create new professional opportunities for teachers, including the opportunities to be responsible for the learning program at the school site;
- Provide parents and students with expanded choices in the types of educational opportunities that are available within the public-school system; and
- Throughout the implementation of the Restart Model, the Craven County Board of Education together with school families and staff, will work diligently to ensure our students have the best educational opportunities available.
Join them on Monday, Feb. 12, to learn more about the future learning possibilities for the students of Oaks Road Elementary School. There are two sessions available-10 a.m. and 6 p.m., the morning session will be held at Oaks Road Elementary School and the evening session will be held at Two River Church located at 3321 Neuse Blvd, New Bern, NC 28560.