The New Bern Police Department’s “Holiday Task Force” has been activated and includes a special deployment of officers to provide specific patrol in heavily trafficked areas during the holiday season.
The task force operations began on Black Friday, Nov. 24, and will run through New Year’s Day, Jan. 1, 2018. The hours of deployment will vary based on seasonal activity and other factors that may affect the special operation. The task force is comprised of patrol and traffic enforcement officers, detectives, and others working in an undercover capacity to proactively monitor the targeted areas for opportunistic crimes.
The Holiday Task Force is intended to provide high visibility patrol in an effort to deter crime during the holiday season. The New Bern Police Department believes the operation will enhance ongoing enforcement efforts and send a message to the community that holiday crime is not welcome.
The New Bern Police Department offers the following safety tips:
- Plan your shopping routes wisely.
- Try to purchase expensive items such as electronics or very large items on your last stop so that you can avoid driving around with the items visible in your car.
- Don’t leave valuables in your cars – secure them in your trunk.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Don’t leave your vehicle running while unattended.
- Carry a limited number of credit cards and cash.
- Report any suspicious activity to the police.