FYI Filing online will facilitate your claim
Pass this info to anyone who needs it:
1. File with FEMA and get your FEMA number ASAP! You will need it for everything.
2. File a claim with BOTH your homeowner’s and flood insurance. Even though it’s a flood, homeowners will cover some wind damage and most of them will give you money for “loss of use” if you can’t live in your house.
3. File for DSNAP-Disaster food stamps. ANYONE in the affected areas can get them, they are not just for poor people. Do not be proud, you can use the money you save on food to replace clothes and other necessities.
NOTE: in regards to DSNAP -no one will be able to apply for said benefits until the county is declared a disaster county by the state government. There will be press releases and all of that when that time period comes. Please, do not show up at DSS expecting DSNAP as soon as they open. The workers do not know when it is going to happen, they do not know anything about it until pretty much the day before.
-yes, everyone can apply. But there are still income limits. And ANYONE is subject to a fraud investigation.
4. File for Disaster Unemployment. Again, DO NOT BE PROUD! If you can’t live in your house or go to work because your work is closed or flooded, this applies to you.
5. Get rental assistance. FEMA and SBA provide rental assistance to help pay for a place to live until you can get back into your house or find a new one.
6. If you want to buy a house, apply for an SBA loan. The interest rates will be VERY CHEAP. Although it is called the SBA, it is for homeowner too.
7. The Salvation Army will sometimes give away money as well. Just call them and apply.
8. Check local businesses for specials and discounts for people in the affected flood areas. Businesses will offer everything from half price pizza to furniture and clothing specials.
9. Call all of your bill collectors and notify them that you are in the affected area and/or that your house flooded. Most will delay your bill due dates for a month or two. This includes your mortgage company, cable, electricity, water, credit card companies, phone etc.
10. Most importantly, allow people to help you! They want to and you need the help!
Please pass this along to anyone who may benefit from it.
Copy and paste.
We care and it is our combined tax contributions (including your own) supporting this effort. You are making a withdrawal from YOUR emergency funds.