A New Bern family of 6 lost everything in a fire on Sunday and have nowhere to go starting tomorrow morning without help.
No one was injured in the Sunday afternoon fire, but smoke from the kitchen fire destroyed the Foskey family’s belongings and left their apartment at Craven Terrace unlivable.
With help from neighbors, friends, and the Red Cross, they were able to find a week of shelter for them and four daughters, ages 16, 15, 8, and 6, but their aid is running out as of Saturday morning.
They have lived in New Bern since 2003, and have no family nearby to take them in.
Kelly Rogers created a GoFundMe page to raise $1,000 to help the family. As of 1 p.m. Friday, it raised $595 toward that goal.
“We are fundraising an immediate $1,000 to help them pay for an AirBnb as they wait to get moved into their next apartment,” Rogers wrote.
“This is an opportunity for our community to lift them up and support them during this uncertain time,” she wrote. “All funds will be delivered directly to the family, and they are grateful to be supported by Peace Counseling’s nonprofit to replace clothes, shoes, and food.”
Dinah Foskey said the blaze started as a grease fire in the kitchen and became an electrical fire, filling the apartment with smoke and destroying all their furnishings, clothes, and other belongings.
She said the first-floor smoke detector did not work and a fire extinguisher in the kitchen melted. She said inspectors were notified of the faulty fire alarm before the fire but did not fix it.
Now she is trying to find out whether Craven Terrace management will be able to find her family another apartment.
“We’ve been playing phone tag to find out when they will have an apartment available. They are not returning calls. We have to check out of the hotel tomorrow and have nowhere to go.”
“We lost everything to smoke damage,” she said. “We’ll basically have to start from scratch.”
The GoFundMe, called Housing Relief for the Foskey Family, can be found here.