In order to maintain the safety of residents, staff, and elected officials during the COVID- 19 pandemic, the Board of Aldermen meeting scheduled for 6 p. m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2020, will be conducted electronically.
The agenda is shown below.
At the board’s last meeting on Nov. 24, Alderman Sabrina Bengel suggested that the meetings return to remote electronic format as a safety measure due to escalating spread of COVID-19.
Alderman Jeffrey Odham dismissed her concerned and complained about the state’s response to the pandemic.
Alderwoman Jameesha Harris concluded the conversation, saying that the virus is real and that city leaders should do a better job setting an example for the public.
No decision was made at the meeting, but the following week, the Board of Aldermen decided to follow Aldermen Bengel’s and Harris’ advice.
Meanwhile, Craven County Schools reported 12 staff and 9 students tested positive for COVID-19 last week.
The school district said the new cases were spread out among different schools and could not be categorized as a cluster.
Craven County has 3,245 confirmed COVID-19 cases as of 11:30 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 4, 2020. There were 73 new cases between Thursday and Friday, a record high number for a 24-hour period.
The City of New Bern is making every effort to ensure that the public is able to safely view the Board of Aldermen meeting and participate in the public comment portions of the meeting, if applicable.
The public may view the meeting by watching a livestream on the City’s Facebook page (City of New Bern, NC Government), on Suddenlink Channel 3 (CityTV3 – the City’ s PEG channel), or on the City’ s website at www.newbernnc.qov.
- The public may also access the meeting by calling one of the numbers below to listen to the audio:
- 312- 626- 6799
- 301- 715- 8592
- 346- 248- 7799
- 669- 900- 6833
- or at 253-215-8782
- Meeting ID: 837 9355 1663
- Password: 270612
The Dec. 8, 2020 meeting does not include any items for public comment.
However, an opportunity to voice Request and Petition of Citizens is on the agenda. Those who wish to make a public comment must pre-register no later than noon on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2020.
To pre-register, contact the City Clerk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 252-639- 2701. You will need to provide the following
- First and last name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Comment type: General comment under Request and Petition of Citizens (the only opportunity for public comment at this particular meeting)
Registered participants will need to call one of the phone numbers listed above at 5: 30 p. m. on Dec. 8, 2020.
CITY OF NEW BERN
BOARD OF ALDERMEN VIRTUAL (ELECTRONIC) MEETING
CONDUCTED VIA ZOOM PLATFORM
DECEMBER 08, 2020 — 6: 00 P. M.
CITY HALL COURTROOM
300 POLLOCK STREET
- Meeting opened by Mayor Dana E. Outlaw. Prayer Coordinated by Alderman
Bengel. Pledge of Allegiance.
- Roll Call.
- Request and Petition of Citizens.
- Consider Adopting a Resolution to Call for a Public Hearing to Rezone 3498 Martine
Drive from I- 2 Industrial District to I- 1 Industrial District.
- Consider Adopting a Resolution to Temporarily Close Portions of Specific
- Approve Minutes.
- Appointment of Mayor Pro Tempore for 2021 and Administration of Oath.
- Consider Adopting a Resolution Approving a Second Amendment to the Lease
Agreement with the New Bern/ Craven County Area Farmers’ Market.
- Consider Adopting a Resolution Approving an Agreement with North Carolina
Railroad for Construction- related Activities Associated with the Duffyfield Wetlands
- Consider Adopting a Resolution Authorizing the City Manager to Execute Contract
Documents for the Hurricane Florence Category A Drainage Ditch Project Within
the North Glenburnie, Renny’ s Creek and Downtown Drainage Basins.
- Consider Adopting a Resolution Authorizing the City Manager to Execute Contract Documents for the Hurricane Florence Category A Drainage Ditch Project Within the Jack Smith Creek Drainage Basin.
- Attorney’s Report.
- City Manager’ s Report.
- New Business.
- Closed Session.